Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Go-ot Card-ed!

Bought a bottle of rum at Jewel the other day. The kid at the cash register called for a "Twenty-one" because she wasn't old enough to ring me up. The manager on duty came over. She was about my age, maybe a bit older, and she asked to see my ID.

Now I was wearing my hair loose and I did have a college sweatshirt on, but since I've been legal to drink twice twenty-one and then some, I find it hard to believe that anyone would have difficulty ball-parking my age.

Maybe the manager was just trying to make my day. If so, she did!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work part-time as a cashier at a grocery store and we used to only have to card customers based on our own judgement. But about maybe two years ago, an employee sold alcohol to a minor and since then we've had to card everyone buying alcohol regardless of how old they look. We have a sign at the front of the store and on every register stating that our store policy is to ask for ID from every customer buying alcohol. Yet this doesn't stop people from causing a scene, disregarding the sign I show them, having to state their age aloud, and demanding to speak to the manager who will proceed to tell them same thing I did, that it's our store policy. Though a lot of the time too we have customers who are actually flattered to be carded.

KaytieDid said...

Hey, I'm delighted to get carded. Now I can't pretend to resemble a 21-year-old, many places around here say they card anyone under 40, and I'm happy to take that!

I was carded again today. The woman laughed when she read my birthdate. I guess she hadn't had a good look at me when she asked!